Holud Mishti Pulao (Sweet Bengali Polao) is a bright yellow rice preparation made using Gobindobhog rice, ground turmeric, dried fruits and nuts, sugar, and saffron strands.
It is very mildly sweet in taste with rich flavors from ghee, saffron, and fried nuts and fruits.
This Bengali-style sweet pulao is very popular in all the Bengali households and is made for all the special occasions and festivals.
▢1 cup Gobindobhog rice (If not available, use basmati rice)
- ▢3 tablespoons ghee
- ▢10-12 raisins
- ▢10-12 whole cashew nuts
- ▢2-3 whole green cardamoms
- ▢2-3 cloves
- ▢1 inch piece of cinnamon
- ▢1 bay leaf
- ▢2 cups water
- ▢3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ▢¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ▢15-20 saffron strands
- Rinse rice with water and soak in 3-4 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pan over medium heat.
- Once the ghee is hot, add raisins and cashew nuts to the pan and fry until they turn golden brown, stirring continuously.
- Add green cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf and fry for 3-4 seconds.
- Drain the water from the rice and add it to the pan and mix with the ghee gently.
- Add water, sugar, turmeric powder, and saffron strands to the pan and stir gently.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 20-25 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed by the rice and rice is cooked.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the rice rest for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the pulao gently with a fork.
- Garnish with slivered almonds and pistachios and saffron strands. Serve hot.