Simple yet hearty, this Vegan Soy Sauce ‘Egg’ Fried Rice is a great easy weekday meal you can easily put together using leftover rice and any vegetables you’d like to add. Using a mix of dark and regular soy sauces brings the flavor to this dish and growing up a simple soy sauce fried rice with an egg is a simple meal I could easily put together. You can also cook this using a regular non-stick pan or skillet!
- 200 g extra firm tofu
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Sprinkle of soy sauce
- Pinch white pepper
- 2 cups cooked and cooled rice leftover is best
- 1.5 tbsp vegan butter or neutral oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- Other veggies of choice optional
- 1-2 tbsp soy sauce, adjust to taste
- 2 tsp dark mushroom soy sauce
- 1 green onion or scallion chopped
- To press tofu, you can use a tofu press or wrap the tofu in a towel or paper towels and place a flat weighted surface on top. Leave to press for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, break apart your leftover rice. If using fresh cooked rice, I recommend to leave this to cool by spreading the rice off a plate and allowing it to cool for the moisture to evaporate. If you wanna try out the crispy rice version, skip to the steps down below!
- To cook the tofu “egg”: heat a large non-stick pan or wok over medium high heat. Once hot, add some oil. Add in the tofu and mash with your hands or a spatula. Season with salt, turmeric, garlic powder, soy sauce, and white pepper. Mix well and cook for 5-6 minutes until the liquid from the tofu continues to evaporate and starts to resemble scrambled eggs. Taste the tofu and feel free to season with more salt, to taste.
- Remove the tofu “egg” from the pan and set side.
- In the same pan, melt vegan butter or add the oil for the rice. Afterwards, add in the minced garlic and cook over medium high until lightly brown and aromatic, around 30 seconds – 1 minute. If using other veggies, feel free to cook it at this point. Add in the leftover rice. Break apart any chunks of rice, if any, and then season the rice with soy sauce and dark soy sauce.
- Mix well and leave the rice to cook over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes, mixing everything 15 seconds or so.
- Mix in the chopped green onion/scallion and the tofu “egg”. Taste your fried rice and feel free to season with more soy sauce, to taste, if needed.
- Turn off the heat and serve your fried rice. You can serve this in a dome shape by placing it a bowl and flipping it over on a plate. Enjoy!