It doesn’t get more classic than tandoori chicken, and this recipe is one you’ll want to cook again and again.
- 8 skinless chicken thighs or legs (bone in)
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges to serve
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- Pinch of Kashmiri chilli powder (from Indian food shops) or paprika
- 1 tsp each chaat masala (optional – from Indian food shops) and ground fenugreek
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup (140g) thick Greek-style yoghurt
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 long green chilli, seeds removed
- 1 tbs chopped ginger
- 2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder or paprika
- 1 tsp each ground cumin and garam masala
- 2 tbs sunflower oil
MINTED YOGHURT CHUTNEY
- 2 mint sprigs, leaves picked, chopped
- 3/4 cup firmly packed coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/2-1 long green chilli, chopped
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 150g thick Greek-style yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin, toasted
- 1.Deeply score each chicken piece 2-3 times. Combine chicken, lemon juice and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- 2.For the tandoori marinade, place all ingredients in a food processor and whiz until smooth. Add to chicken and toss to coat. Chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- 3.Meanwhile, for the chutney, place all ingredients in a food processor and whiz until smooth. Chill until required.
- 4.Remove chicken from fridge 30 minutes before cooking. Combine butter and chilli powder. Preheat a barbecue or chargrill pan to medium-high heat. Grill chicken, turning and basting with butter mixture, for 20 minutes or until charred and cooked through. Sprinkle spices over chicken and serve with chutney and lemon wedges.