The combination of heat and proper surface area on the pan can turn any vegetable into a savory side dish in no time. At a high heat, the sugars in the vegetable caramelize. When spread out over the pan in an even layer, the broccoli is able to brown properly.
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss the broccoli with melted coconut oil, salt, black pepper and garlic. Spread the broccoli in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until florets are tender enough to pierce with a fork and the edges are browning, about 15 minutes. Turn once halfway through the baking process and add red pepper flakes, if using. After baking, squeeze lemon juice liberally over the broccoli before serving.