- 2 cups split moong lentils without skin – see link below for a picture of Moong
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida powder
- 2-inch piece of ginger, finely grated
- 2 finely chopped green chillies (optional)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable, canola or sunflower oil (for frying)
Steps to Make It
- Thoroughly wash the Moong under running water. Put it into a large bowl and add the dry red chillies, cumin seeds and asafetida powder. Mix well and add enough warm water to cover the Moong fully. Leave overnight to soak.
- The next morning, drain the water away, grind the moong and spices you soaked with it, in a food processor to get a fine paste. Add water only as required to get the consistency of pancake batter – thick but ‘pour-able’. Add the grated ginger, chopped coriander and salt to taste and mix well.
- Heat a griddle or heavy-bottomed pan on medium heat. When hot, add a few drops of cooking oil to it and swirl to coat all sides of the pan. Now pour a ladle full of batter onto the pan and lightly use the ladle to spread the batter into a circular shape from the center outwards. Make a circle of diameter roughly 6 inches. Cook for 1 minute.
- Drizzle with a little oil and lift the edges of the Cheela to allow oil to go under it. Flip now and cook till the other side is golden too.
- Remove from pan and serve immediately with chutneys of your choice. You can eat this with your favorite chutneys
2 thoughts on “Moong Dal Ka Cheela – Savory Moong Bean Pancakes”
Healthy pancake, would try soon looks yummy
sure !! I wl be more than happy that I can keep adding some yummy recipes